Nania is a Partner in the Disputes practice group of the firm. She regularly advises and represents clients in a range of high value litigation and arbitration disputes. She is a dual-qualified U.K and Ghanaian lawyer. She sits as an arbitrator and is listed on CPR’s Panels of Distinguished Neutrals and the Ghana ADR Hub List of Arbitrators.
Nania's clients include Stanbic Bank Ghana Limited, AngloGold Ashanti (GH) Ltd., Abosso Goldfields Limited, American Tower Company Limited, Moringa Mauritius Africa and Moringa SCA SICAR, Stena Unicon Offshore Services Limited, Ghana Oil Palm Development Company Limited, Epiroc, Monjasa DMCC, GOS Limited, FBN Bank Limited.
She is a member of the Court of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), an Officer of the LCIA African Users’ Council and a board member of the Lagos Chamber of Commerce International Arbitration Centre. She is also a member of the Ghana Bar Association, Middle Temple Inns of Court and a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK)
She also serves as Co-Chair of the Africa Arbitration Group of the International Bar Association (IBA) Arbitration Committee, after previously serving as editor of the IBA Arbitration Committee Newsletter. She is the Country Chair of the Chartered Institute of Arbitration-Ghana Chapter.
She lectures in Alternative Dispute Resolution at the Ghana School of Law and is called to the bar in England and Wales and in Ghana.
Nania holds a B.A(Hons) from the University of Ghana, a Qualifying Law Degree & LLM from the University of Leeds, and has a qualifying certificate from the Ghana School of Law. She undertook her Bar Vocational Course at the College of Law (now University of Law) in London, where she obtained a Post-graduate Diploma in Law.
Rankings and Awards
- Representing a local subsidiary of an international mining company in an arbitration against a surface mining company/contractor, in respect of several breaches of a mining agreement entered into by the parties. The matter involves claims and counterclaims in excess of US$ 247 million.
- Representing two foreign private equity investment funds in a shareholding dispute in respect of a local company. The matter involves several claims and counterclaims including a claim for special damages of over US$1 million.
- Represented a mining company in arbitration proceedings relating to a contract dispute with a mining services company involving claims in excess of US$ 8 million.
- Part of a legal team in an international arbitration between an international software company and a sovereign entity in which client was awarded over GH¢ 197.5 million (approximately US$ 87.2 million at the time) in damages.
- Part of a legal team for an international energy company in international arbitration and local litigation against sovereign entity regarding a Power Purchase Agreement in which client was awarded the equivalent of US$ 12 million at the time in damages.
- Represented a local subsidiary of an international bank in litigation proceedings for breach of contract arising from an alleged wrongful termination of a Lease Agreement. The client was awarded approximately US$ 1,405,950.18 with interest.
- Represented a multi-national telecommunications company in litigation proceedings arising from a commercial contract dispute, involving claims for damages in excess of US$ 6 million and GH¢ 14 million.
- Lex Mundi Global Arbitration Guide, November 2018 (Author of Ghana Chapter and Contributor to the Guide).
- A Guide to Dispute Resolution in Africa: A Multijurisdictional Review (1st Edition, Herbert Smith Freehills), co-author of Ghana Chapter with Ace Anan Ankomah. (2013).
- A Guide to Dispute Resolution in Africa: A Multijurisdictional Review (2nd Edition, Herbert Smith Freehills), co-author of Ghana Chapter with Ace Anan Ankomah. (2016).
- The Guide to Dispute Resolution in Africa 2022, co-author of Ghana Chapter with Ace Anan Ankomah. (Nov 2021)
- Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in Nigeria and Ghana, published in Hogan Lovells LLP Africa Newsletter (September 2019).
- Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Africa: An Analysis of the Regime in South Africa and Ghana.
- Integration of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Through the Law. (October 2019) co-authored with Ace Anan Ankomah. (Paper presented to the ECOWAS Court of Justice International Conference)IBA Arbitration Committee, Ghana Country Report on the Local Requirements for the Validity of the Enforcement of the Arbitral Award (September 2020).
- IBA Arbitration Committee, Ghana Country Report on the Local Requirements for the Validity of the Enforcement of the Arbitral Award (September 2020).
- Arbitration in Africa: A Review of Key Jurisdictions (Sweet & Maxwell, 2016), contributor to chapter on Ghana.