"The Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah Dispute Resolution team is unique for their in-depth knowledge of substantive law as well as procedural law, a skill rarely exhibited by most litigation lawyers". - Dispute Resolution, The Legal 500, 2022
"Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah is a market-leading law firm renowned for its strong experience in dispute resolution, including litigation and international arbitration". - Chambers Global, 2022
Our Disputes practice group specialises in all areas of commercial and corporate litigation and alternative dispute resolution. The group’s practical knowledge of our client’s business problems puts it in the unique position to advise on preventative measures to avoid litigation, including dispute resolution at both the local and international level. We assist clients in exploring mediation, arbitration and other alternative dispute resolutions, where litigation is unavoidable. Our practice group is headed by our Senior Partner, Ace Anan Ankomah, Daad Akwesi, Golda Denyo, Gloria Cofie and Nania Owusu-Ankomah Sackey.
Represented an international venture capital fund in a dispute involving sovereign bonds issued by the Republic of Argentina in New York. This matter led to the headline arrest of the Frigata Libertad in Ghana and ultimately a US$1.2 billion settlement.
Represented a leading multinational mining company in Ghana as local counsel in an investor arbitration before ICSID.
Represented a mining company in arbitration proceedings relating to a contract dispute with a mining services company involving claims in excess of US$ 8 million dollars.
Represented an international software company client in an international arbitration against the Government of Ghana regarding a breach of contract in which client was awarded over GH¢197.5 million (approximately US $87.2 million at the time) in damages.
Representing client in an international energy company in international arbitration and local litigation against the Government of Ghana regarding breach of a Power Purchase Agreement in which client was awarded the equivalent of 12 million dollars at the time in damages.
- Representing a consortium of Lenders in disputes relating to the recovery of loans given to companies in Ghana to the tune of US$57,500,000.
- Represented the Bank of Ghana at the Supreme Court in a constitutional matter filed by the Association of Finance seeking a declaration that specified directives issued by the Bank of Ghana should have been laid before Parliament and passed. The Supreme Court confirmed that Bank of Ghana has the power to issue directives to regulate Financial Institutions without going through Parliament.
- Represented an international bank in proceedings before the Supreme Court to set aside two decisions of the Supreme Court on grounds of fraud.
- Represented a multinational company in a claim against another multi-national company in respect of promissory notes valued at US$5,312,500.
- Represented the receiver of a financial institution in a matter involving the recovery of an amount in excess of GHC1.4 billion.
- Represented a petroleum company, in a dispute involving bonds issued by the Republic of Argentina ultimately resulting in a US$1.2 billion settlement.
- Represented client in both international arbitration and local litigation involving a dispute with the Government of Ghana over a Power Purchase Agreement.
- Represented the client in defending a claim relating to a breach of contract for haulage of gold ore mined by the company (for damages in excess of US$ 1 million).
- Represented a leading multinational telecommunications business in a variety of matter matters including a commercial contract dispute involving claims in excess of US $6 million and GHC 14 million.